Efficient Flow is a RegioStars finalist!
Out of 228 applicants, the Efficient Flow project, co-implemented by SAMK's Maritime Logistics Research Center, has been selected as one of the 30 finalists for the RegioStars Awards. Efficient Flow is a nominee in the "A connected Europe" category.
Regiostars Awards is a competition organized by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy, recognizing and rewarding excellent and innovative regional development projects across Europe. These projects can encompass areas such as economic growth, employment, environmental sustainability, social inclusion, and other aspects of regional development. Various organizations, including regional authorities, cities, municipalities, businesses, universities, and other entities that have implemented innovative projects to promote regional development, can participate in the competition.
The purpose of the Regiostars Awards competition is to raise awareness about successful projects and encourage cross-learning among different regions and organizations, as well as the sharing of best practices. Winners are acknowledged and given the opportunity to showcase examples of effective regional development work in Europe.
– Efficient Flow serves as a European-level success story where the project permanently transforms the industry, commented Heikki Koivisto, the project manager at SAMK.
The port application developed in Efficient Flow is already operational in over 25 ports
SAMK has been researching timely ship arrivals at ports since 2017. The research was initiated in the ports of Rauma in Finland and Gävle in Sweden, both of which are container ports.
The port applications for Rauma and Gävle were developed as part of the Central Baltic Efficient Flow project. Based on the project, a national port application (led by Fintraffic VTS) has expanded to over 25 ports. The Efficient Flow project was led by the Swedish Maritime Administration. SAMK led the Smooth Port Operations work package in the project. Other project partners included Rauman Satama Oy (Port of Rauma), Port of Gävle, and Fintraffic VTS. The technical implementation of the applications was carried out by Unikie Oy.
– The port application is an example of successful implementation of digitalization. Its development continues with an ever-expanding participant base, added Koivisto.
What are the next steps
- 14 September, the start of the online public vote.
- 11 October, the final round of project pitches happening during the EU Regions’ Week
- 16 November, REGIOSTARS ceremony and announcement of winners happening in Ostrava, Czech Republic